Sunday, April 3, 2011

Strawberry Fudge Love Cake (RAW!)

I've been looking at some different kinds of recipes lately, and my younger brothers always try to guess what's in the stuff I cook them anyways, so I decided to let other people try to do the same.
Today, I made a deliciously decadent Strawberry Fudge Love Cake.

I'm very surprised I managed to get a post up two weeks in a row, but here I am! Eating turkey soup and homemade strawberry muffins, and about to shock the (not very massive) masses with a recipe I jacked from a cook book called Ani Phyo's Raw Food Desserts. Lately, I've been trolling around the Barnes and Noble in search of boredom-destruction while waiting to pick my brothers up from school. I was happy to discover this book, and set to taking phone pics of different recipes.
Remember this mouth-watering paramount of chocolate?

The cake I made is actually called Raspberry Ganache Fudge Cake. However, I tweaked some ingredients by using strawberries because they were on sale, and I used California dates because they were the only ones that Sprouts had available pitted.

Ingredients:
Fudge Cake
3 cups dry walnuts
2⁄3 cup unsweetened cacao powder or carob powder
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup pitted Medjool dates

Frosting
1⁄3 cup semi-soft pitted Medjool dates
1⁄4 cup agave syrup
1⁄2 cup ripe avocado flesh (from about 1 medium avocado)
1⁄3 cup cacao powder

Filling
1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries or strawberries

Simply puree the cake ingredients together in food processor. Then remove the contents and mold into two  6 to 9 inch round cakes. No need to clean the processor for the frosting, because the ingredients are pretty much identical. Go through the same process as for the cake: puree all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Next, frost your cakes, placing sliced strawberries on top of one before layering. Finish frosting, and decorate with fresh fruit as you like. Enjoy :)


That's right. There's an AVOCADO in the frosting. Surprisingly, it works perfectly in place of butter or shortening and cream as a fat. Because of their mild flavor, creamy texture, and inconspicuous color (when mixed with chocolate, anyways), the texture and flavor of the frosting is deceptive. I didn't tell my brothers, because I knew they wouldn't eat it. Although I enjoyed their reactions when I told them afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment